Monday, January 17, 2011

What Have I Done?

The answer to that question is a simple "Nothing." On a day like today, I look back over this past year and ask myself "What have I done to help promote positive change?" As much as I believe in a world full of social peace, one in which we can "all just get along," I can't honestly say that I have actively done anything to help promote this idea of social change. The fact is, I have be so self-absorbed this past year, that I haven't taken any time to think of anyone else. I might have had a rough year. I might have went through some pretty tough things in my life. I might be on the bottom of the barrel. But I am not the only one who has gone/is going through this, and I am certainly not the worst off. I am lucky to have the supportive networks of family and friends that have been able to help and encourage me through what I've been through. I truly believe we should all take this year to focus on others and what we can do to help them. Now, I don't suggest that everyone can do this financially, I for one definitely cannot afford it. However, there is so much more to give of yourself than money. Donate your time. Offer a helping hand to your neighbor. Be supportive when a loved one is going through a significant time in their life. There are so many other things I'm sure a person could do to help make this world a better place. Every little thing does make a difference, even if we don't see it immediately, and even if we don't see it at all. It's like those commercials for Liberty Mutual.


This year I challenge myself to actively help make this world a better place. I extend this challenge to anyone else willing to accept it. I truly believe that my happiness will improve from doing good for others, and that is what I intend to focus on this year. Making silly resolutions that you are never going to stick to is just a waste of time. Committing to make an effort to change yourself and change the world for the better...that's a true goal.

To live in a world where people are actually concerned about the welfare of others, one where everyone truly cares about other human beings, that is the challenge that Dr. King extended to our country. We have come so far, but we still have much farther to go...I wonder if I will ever get to experience that world in my lifetime?

Young King Inspired by Time in Conn., Work on Farm

No comments:

Post a Comment