Monday, January 23, 2012

Have I really learned from my past mistakes?

I realize that it's been quite awhile since I've made a post. It's been even longer since I have written anything about relationships. I would count myself far from being any type of relationship expert. In fact, I'm the person always out seeking advice, trying to figure out why my love life just doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

In an effort to do a thorough cleaning of my inner self and in keeping with one of my resolutions this year, I have been spending this month reflecting on what makes me... well...me. Yes, my personality and my passion for life are a big part of how I'm perceived by the rest of the world. However, I'm more interested in the side of myself that most people don't get to see. All the thoughts, feelings, joys and tears that make me the person I am today.

As I was reflecting back on my previous relationships today, I couldn't help but wonder if I've truthfully learned from the mistakes I've made in the past. Sometimes I think, as women, we become more paranoid rather than more intelligent when it comes to men. For instance, I recently embarked on what may turn into a very healthy relationship in the near future. However, I caught myself "diving right in" if you will...getting caught up in all the newness of the relationship and the intense physical attraction between the two of us. Here I was again, letting myself get too attached, too soon. Did I learn nothing from my past? Why do I allow myself to run into the fire when I've always found that is how I end up getting hurt.

It's not about how much you feel for someone or how physically attracted you are to each other...it is much more important to take the time to really get to know a person before you hand over all your feelings.

I'm definitely going to take my own advice and make sure I don't rush into anything. Be willing to put in the time if you want a relationship to work. It's not just about the physical. Protect your heart first.

Happy 2012! God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment